Thursday 29 January 2015

The Strongest Faith


During the Holocaust Remembrance Day on 27 Jan, Prince Charles read an anonymous poem that had been scratched on the wall by a Holocaust victim. The poem read:

"I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining. 

"I believe in love, even though I don't feel it. 

"I believe in God, even when he is silent."
 
I was touched by this poem as it shows two things. Firstly, the victim didn’t give up his/her faith in God despite the horrors that happened to him/her. Believing in things even when you don’t see them is the essence of faith. 

The other thing that struck me is that the writer believes that God hears him and listens to him, but is “silent”. He/she chose to believe that God is simply not responding, without assuming that God is not there or not listening.

I think we can all learn from the brief poem above, written by someone going through unimaginable suffering while showing immense strength and faith. 

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/11371241/Holocaust-Memorial-Day-commemorations-across-Europe-mark-70th-anniversary-of-Auschwitz-liberation-latest.html

No comments:

Post a Comment