Friday 4 December 2015

When Your House is on Fire, There are No Excuses - The Depression Denial

I sometimes get the question "What do you do if you can't afford therapy?" Well, what do you do if your house is on fire? You get out. What do you do if your child is about to cross the road and a car is coming? You reach out to save that child. It is easy to try to push things with depression, because it is not visible. It is tempting to think the following:
  • “If I just wait this one out, I will be fine. I can handle it.” 
  • “If I push myself and pretend things are fine, no one will find out, and I won’t risk my image.” 
  • “If I just had more money, I would get help.” 
It is not as easy when the damage is physical, because with a broken leg, you can’t pretend that things are fine, and you are more motivated to seek help urgently. 

If you can't afford it, find a way. Take a loan, raise money, cut down on spending, whatever you need to do. There are also free services such as the Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme. Instead of delaying getting support for different reasons, ask yourself “What can I do right now, to get the help I need?”.

The main point in this blog post though, is that you do what it takes even it means having pasta with tomato sauce for two weeks, living on £5 a week for food, no clothes shopping and so on.

When you deal with mental health issues, such as depression, getting yourself better needs to be a nr 1 priority. If one doesn't seek support, the illness will continue to affect everything in life: work, friendships, family, studies and so on.

In the words of Dr Phil McGraw, "You either get it or you don't". There is never a right time to seek help. The action is initiated through the realisation that how I feel and what I do affect my life and other people to the extent, that there is no point in trying to hide/deny things; I need to get help now. What is the alternative? 

No comments:

Post a Comment